From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] PostgreSQL Status
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 08:59:35
1 Tiziano Müller wrote:
2 > What do the new ebuilds offer:
3 > a) A split into dev-db/postgresql-{base,server,docs}.
4
5 WRONG we aren't debian.
6
7 we have a nice use for documentation...
8
9 > Now, I know that
10 > splitting up packages isn't the Gentoo way. I know we could have done it
11 > using USE flags but this approach gives more flexibility due to the current
12 > way how binary packages are being generated and distributed.
13
14 It gives an annoyance please reconsider.
15
16 > b) New virtuals: virtual/postgresql-{base,server} to be able to install
17 > pgcluster as your postgresql-base in a next step.
18
19 see before.
20
21 > c) Slotting: It is now possible to have more than one major version of
22 > PostgreSQL installed and running on the same machine.
23
24 Great =)
25
26 > d) A lot of other improvements, in detail, the following bugs will be fixed:
27
28 Wonderful =)
29
30 lu