From: "Tiziano Müller" <dev-zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] PostgreSQL Status
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 07:55:55
1 Since my blog doesn't get syndicated on planet.gentoo.org I'm posting the
2 entry here again, but it's probably a good idea anyway:
3
4 First I want to apologize for the current situation. I know we're lagging
5 behind and I know that bugs are piling up.
6 As a small excuse I can only say that my time is limited and PostgreSQL
7 isn't the only thing in Gentoo I (have to) maintain.
8
9 But there are good news:
10 Thanks to the help of Michael Krelin (also known as polyonymous on IRC) I
11 was able to commit a whole new set of ebuilds yesterday.
12 Now, you're probably going to ask why we just didn't go on with the current
13 ebuilds in the tree.
14
15 There are a couple of reasons:
16 a) dev-db/libpq is slotted but with collisions. Fixing this wasn't really an
17 option since slotting this was wrong from the beginning.
18 b) The split-up in two packages dev-db/{libpq,postgresql} was wrong too:
19 There are a couple of packages which do not only need libpq, but also one
20 of the other PostgreSQL libraries (like libecpg, libpgtypes, libecpg_compat
21 or libpgport).
22 c) Upgrading between major versions of PostgreSQL requires the DB admin to
23 bump the database using the old version, moving the database away and to
24 reload the dump into a new database cluster using the new version of
25 PostgreSQL. Having to take down the old server and purging the old version
26 of PostgreSQL before being able to try out the new one is more than
27 cumbersome. Therefore a slotted postgresql-server is needed to make the
28 upgrade easier.
29 d) A lot of things were broken in the old postgresql ebuilds as you can see
30 when going through the bug list and we needed to give them a general
31 overhaul.
32
33 What do the new ebuilds offer:
34 a) A split into dev-db/postgresql-{base,server,docs}. Now, I know that
35 splitting up packages isn't the Gentoo way. I know we could have done it
36 using USE flags but this approach gives more flexibility due to the current
37 way how binary packages are being generated and distributed.
38 b) New virtuals: virtual/postgresql-{base,server} to be able to install
39 pgcluster as your postgresql-base in a next step.
40 c) Slotting: It is now possible to have more than one major version of
41 PostgreSQL installed and running on the same machine.
42 d) A lot of other improvements, in detail, the following bugs will be fixed:
43 42894 Suggestion of use of slots for PostgreSQL
44 49864 dev-db/postgresql - pkg_config should allow passing optio...
45 55073 PostgreSQL client versus server installation
46 154620 PostgreSQL 8.1 server lacks instrumentation functions for...
47 158509 dev-db/libpq-8.0.9 fails configure with segmentation faul...
48 159223 postgresql threads USE flag required for ecpg
49 160178 dev-db/libpq : using (almost deprecated) gnuconfig_update
50 160181 dev-db/postgresql : using (almost deprecated) gnuconfig_u...
51 161803 dev-db/postgresql - /etc/conf.d/postgresql PG_OPTS variab...
52 161980 QA Notice: USE Flag 'kernel_linux' not in IUSE for dev-db...
53 177555 Postgresql/libpg upgrade from 8.1.8 to libpg-8.2.4 and po...
54 194350 >=dev-db/libpq-8.2.4 creates broken symlinks
55 194701 dev-db/postgresql - wrong elog into about configuration f...
56 198434 dev-db/postgresql - add ldap use flag
57 206725 dev-db/{libpq,postgresql} 8.2.7/8.3.1 version bump
58 206820 dev-db/postgresql default conf.d should not override max_...
59 209826 dev-db/postgresql - 2 issues with the current init script
60 210938 dev-db/postgresql - disable strict permission check on ss...
61 213699 dev-db/libpq-8.2.6 failed to configure w/ USE="threads"
62 214438 The dev-db/postgresql-8.2.6 ebuild does not respect confi...
63 215940 dev-db/postgresql provides bad init script for baselayout...
66 What you have to do to switch:
67 I'll put together more documentation as soon as the ebuilds get unmasked (in
68 1-2 weeks).
69 In general the only thing you have to then do is to uninstall dev-db/libpq
70 and dev-db/postgresql and install the same version of postgresql-base and
71 postgresql-server. No revdep-rebuild is needed.
72 For early adopters: It's best to wait until we changed the dependencies,
73 afterwards you can unmask the dev-db/postgresql-{docs,base,server}
74 packages...
75
76 What is needed from the ebuild developers side:
77 We have to change every dependency on dev-db/libpq to
78 virtual/postgresql-base and dev-db/postgresql to virtual/postgresql-server.
79 As soon as the old ebuilds are gone, we have to go through the ebuilds
80 depending on virtual/postgresql-server whether they can be built with
81 dev-db/postgresql-base only. Do not switch from dev-db/postgresql to
82 virtual/postgresql-base directly as long as you can't assure that your
83 package builds with libpq only.
84
85 Well, that's it basically. Don't hesitate to contact me in case of problems
86 or suggestions. You can answer to this post, leave comments on
87 http://dev-zero.ch/blog/ or send me a mail of course :-).
88 (But don't expect me to read forum entries since I simply do not have the
89 time to do that regularly.)
90
91 Again, many thanks to Michael Krelin and all the others who helped with
92 testing and sending patches.
93
94 Cheers,
95 Tiziano