From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] PostgreSQL Status
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 08:18:46
1 On 09:55 Wed 16 Apr , Tiziano Müller wrote:
2 > What do the new ebuilds offer:
3 > a) A split into dev-db/postgresql-{base,server,docs}. Now, I know that
4 > splitting up packages isn't the Gentoo way. I know we could have done it
5 > using USE flags but this approach gives more flexibility due to the current
6 > way how binary packages are being generated and distributed.
7
8 I'd like to hear some more info on this point.
9
10 > In general the only thing you have to then do is to uninstall dev-db/libpq
11 > and dev-db/postgresql and install the same version of postgresql-base and
12 > postgresql-server. No revdep-rebuild is needed.
13 > For early adopters: It's best to wait until we changed the dependencies,
14 > afterwards you can unmask the dev-db/postgresql-{docs,base,server}
15 > packages...
16
17 People want `emerge postgresql` to do something. Otherwise it's not
18 always obvious which random hyphenated packages you're supposed to
19 install, and it's just like you're digging around some huge subpackage
20 list in Ubuntu or Fedora.
21
22 Thanks,
23 Donnie