From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Dropping slotted boost
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 20:40:29
1 On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 4:26 PM, Diego Elio Pettenò
2 <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu>wrote:
3
4 > On 30/10/2012 12:31, Michael Mol wrote:
5 > >
6 > > I've never understood why Gentoo uses a separate ebuild for it. I mean,
7 > > I can understand some efficiency gains from having a single compiled
8 > > copy, but it shouldn't be surprising in the least when upstream makes
9 > > breaking changes in the API.
10 >
11 > Because bundled libraries are bad.
14 In general, I agree...but Boost wasn't intended to be a shared library, so
15 there shouldn't be a conflict there.
16
17 Now, I understand that it's supremely convenient to be able to fix a bug in
18 one place, rather than grep and patch that bug in the source of all the
19 other packages...but then you come back to messes spawning from upstream
20 not treating that as a supported configuration.
21
22 Though since I'm not contributing labor (apart from the five minutes to
23 write this email), I probably don't really have the right perspective.
26 :wq