From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Reinstating old-school GLEPs masterplan
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 17:09:07
1 Hi,
2
3 TL;DR: I'd like to reinstate the old-school GLEPs in .rst files rather
4 than Wiki, put in a nice git repo.
5
6 Bug: https://bugs.gentoo.org/628098
9 A short bit of history
10 ======================
11
12 A long time ago, in a gal... oh wait. Back in the old good days GLEPs
13 were reStructuredText files stored in our CVS repo (along with the GLEP
14 project page). The idea closely resembles the one used for PEPs
15 in Python. Similarly to the Python project, we had a docutils plugin to
16 convert GLEPs into 'nice' HTML, and so on, and so on.
17
18 Then there was the wiki boom, and GLEPs were wikified as part of that.
19 This brings us to where we are now.
22 Problems with wiki
23 ==================
24
25 I've already listed them in detail [1]. The most relevant points, copied
26 from the bug [2]:
27
28 > 1. Lack of proper review platform and merge capability. We end up
29 > reinventing the wheel poorly by copying articles and requesting review
30 > of that. Then GLEP editors move them back eating history and sometimes
31 > resulting in even worse failures like including a temporary subpage in
32 > GLEP namespace [a]. Getting a GLEP in place sometimes takes GLEP
33 > editors over *a month* during which time there is not even a clear
34 > indication that a GLEP has update pending.
35 >
36 > 2. The wiki form does not really fit GLEPs. Note that RFCs are plain
37 > text files. PEPs use reStructuredText which is also pretty close to
38 > plain text. MediaWiki GLEPs are only mildly readable as plain text,
39 > and sometimes end up referring to external templates or other
40 > materials. They are not stand-alone, and they are hard to copy to use
41 > outside the wiki.
42 >
43 > 3. MediaWiki is not very good at accessibility. It's not convenient
44 > for anything more complex than quick article edits, and it ends up
45 > being real PITA for people with disabilities [b].
46 >
47 > [...]
48 > [a]:https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GLEP:73/VerificationAlgo
49 > [b]:https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/message/01fc23841c98670b2419a8638f97ec0b
52 The target layout
53 =================
54
55 What I'd like to do is to restore the 'old school' file-based layout,
56 albeit in a bit more modern form. The idea is that GLEPs will be stored
57 as reStructuredText files in a dedicated git repository. The rendered
58 HTML versions will be available from our main site.
59
60 This simple solution will introduce a number of advantages:
61
62 a. the original source text of GLEPs will be once more readable,
63 and useful without the HTML rendering or external templates; for reviews
64 we wouldn't have to resort to a web browser,
65
66 b. everyone will be able to clone the GLEP repo and work on their
67 branches locally, then GLEP editors will be able to merge/cherry-pick
68 the changes to master without discarding history,
69
70 c. it will be possible to work on GLEPs without using a web browser or
71 having Internet access.
74 The masterplan
75 ==============
76
77 The plan on introducing the changes follows:
78
79 1. Convert the old GLEP repository from CVS to git (done [3]),
80
81 2. Prepare www.g.o to render GLEPs (done [4]),
82
83 3. Convert the one GLEP that was written in GuideXML to reST,
84
85 4. Update GLEPs from wiki,
86
87 5. Update GLEP-1/2 for the new-old workflow,
88
89 6. Profit!
90
91 For steps 3 onwards I'd gladly accept some help. If someone wants to
92 help, please contact me and I'll help you get started. Otherwise, I will
93 just update them at my own pace, as time permits.
96 Any comments?
97
98 [1]:https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/message/bf6cdaeb6c9c689b32e1f0c55447ca5d
99 [2]:https://bugs.gentoo.org/628098