From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unified DEPENDENCIES concept
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 22:56:35
1 On 09/07/2012 07:45 AM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > Since DEPENDENCIES hasn't been written up in a Gentoo-friendly
3 > manner, and since the Exherbo documentation doesn't seem to suffice
4 > to explain the idea here, here's some more details on the
5 > DEPENDENCIES proposal.
8 It seems to me that the problem this solves is just one of ontology.
9 It's analogous to trying to stick files named "foo", "bar", "baz",
10 etc. into directories named "depend", "rdepend", "hdepend", and so on.
11
12 There are a few well-known ways to organize things in a hierarchy, and
13 which one is most efficient depends on the categories and objects that
14 you have. Given the way that most software is built (see:
15 COMMON_DEPEND), I think DEPENDENCIES would work better than what we're
16 doing now, but it also seems more complex.
17
18 I think that dependencies are ultimately not hierarchical, and this
19 can force duplication in DEPENDENCIES as well. Has anyone considered
20 tagging the package atoms with a list of dependency types? For example,
21
22 * foo/bar: ( build run host )
23 * baz/one: baz? ( build )
24 * baz/two, baz/three: baz? ( build run )
25 ...
26
27 This would eliminate duplication of the objects (package atoms) in
28 favor of duplication of the categories (dependency types). Since the
29 package atoms are what we really care about, I think the tradeoff is
30 beneficial. Maintainers get to express each dependency exactly once.