From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: michael@××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unified DEPENDENCIES concept
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 07:27:24
1 On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 18:55:10 -0400
2 Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 09/07/2012 07:45 AM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > > Since DEPENDENCIES hasn't been written up in a Gentoo-friendly
6 > > manner, and since the Exherbo documentation doesn't seem to suffice
7 > > to explain the idea here, here's some more details on the
8 > > DEPENDENCIES proposal.
11 > It seems to me that the problem this solves is just one of ontology.
12 > It's analogous to trying to stick files named "foo", "bar", "baz",
13 > etc. into directories named "depend", "rdepend", "hdepend", and so on.
14 >
15 > There are a few well-known ways to organize things in a hierarchy, and
16 > which one is most efficient depends on the categories and objects that
17 > you have. Given the way that most software is built (see:
18 > COMMON_DEPEND), I think DEPENDENCIES would work better than what we're
19 > doing now, but it also seems more complex.
20 >
21 > I think that dependencies are ultimately not hierarchical, and this
22 > can force duplication in DEPENDENCIES as well. Has anyone considered
23 > tagging the package atoms with a list of dependency types? For
24 > example,
25 >
26 > * foo/bar: ( build run host )
27 > * baz/one: baz? ( build )
28 > * baz/two, baz/three: baz? ( build run )
29 > ...
30 >
31 > This would eliminate duplication of the objects (package atoms) in
32 > favor of duplication of the categories (dependency types). Since the
33 > package atoms are what we really care about, I think the tradeoff is
34 > beneficial. Maintainers get to express each dependency exactly once.
35
36 This is nowhere near friendly to a developer...
39 Best regards,
40 Michał Górny