From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Erik Swanson <gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.name>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo internal structure
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 19:27:41
1 On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 05:54, Erik Swanson wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 02:33, donnie berkholz wrote:
3 > > I think we should accept all the licenses by default except the ones for
4 > > which the ACCEPT_LICENSE variable originally existed (the id games ones),
5 > > since users must be forced to read and agree to those. This would keep the
6 > > change seamless for the user unless said user wishes to change things.
7 >
8 > As a user, I'd prefer if only OSI-approved licenses were accepted by
9 > default. This also seems like it'd be most in keeping with the Gentoo
10 > Social Contract.
11
12 As the developer whom was first bitten by the licensing issues, I would
13 have to agree. Only the "free" licenses should be accepted by default.
14 However, I also think that some form of logic and code needs to be added
15 to portage to add better support for this variable. I think that once a
16 user has accepted the license, it should be added to his list of
17 accepted licenses automatically. I understand that this isn't something
18 that would happen overnight, but it is definitely something that should
19 happen as far as I am concerned.
22 Chris Gianelloni
23 Developer, Gentoo Linux
24 Games Team