From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Packages up for grabs
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2016 18:01:47
1 On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 12:25:37 -0500
2 Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 10:06 AM, Thomas Kahle <tomka@g.o> wrote:
5 > > Hi,
6 > >
7 > > I'd like to pass on maintainership of
8 > >
9 > > dev-cpp/gtest
10 > > dev-cpp/gmock
11 > >
12 > > I don't use them and I don't even remember how I came to maintain
13 > > them. These two are among the packages that have googlecode in
14 > > their SRC_URI, so this is a bit urgent. Upstream has moved to
15 > > github and merged the two packages:
16 > >
17 > > https://github.com/google/googletest
18 > >
19 > > The next and only thing on the agenda is to bump and unify the
20 > > two ebuilds to version 1.8.0 which was released in August.
21 > > Anyone?
22 >
23 > Whoever picks this up might want to consider switching to cmake, and
24 > installing static libs instead of shared libs.
25 >
26 > The current ebuild installs shared libs with libtools default soname
27 > version (0). The cmake build doesn't even bother with that and
28 > installs bare .so files.
29 >
30 > I don't think they are intended to be used as systemwide shared libraries.
31
32 AFAIK they are not intended to be installed as compiled code at all.
33 You are supposed to bundle them, or otherwise compile them from sources
34 along with your project.
37 Best regards,
38 Michał Górny
39 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>