From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tmpfiles virtual
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 19:57:07
1 On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 2:51 PM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 15/11/16 02:42 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >> On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 13:57:14 -0500
4 >> Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On 15/11/16 12:56 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
7 >>>> OpenRC itself doesn't install any tmpfiles.d files, and my plan is to
8 >>>> make sure virtual/tmpfiles and opentmpfiles go stable at the same time
9 >>>> the new OpenRC does, along with at least one package that uses them.
10 >>>>
11 >>>> This will also definitely be covered in the upstream OpenRC news.
12 >>>>
13 >>>> WRT OpenRC pulling it in, it isn't a build or runtime dependency of
14 >>>> OpenRC, and it may not even be needed in some cases, so I'm not sure how
15 >>>> much sense it makes from the OpenRC level to pull it in or which type of
16 >>>> dependency to use for it.
17 >>>
18 >>> I'm with William on this. As long as the packages that install items
19 >>> (init scripts, whatever) that -do- need tmpfiles.d support depend on
20 >>> virtual/tmpfilesd, this will ensure it's installed regardless of
21 >>> whether or not openrc depends on the virtual directly.
22 >>
23 >> The ebuilds are going to only need a pkg_*-time dependency on the tool.
24 >> While this means RDEPEND at the moment due to our dependency class
25 >> limits, we may have a proper dependency type for it in EAPI 7. In this
26 >> case, the PM will be allowed to unmerge opentmpfiles as soon
27 >> as the package is installed.
30 > The EBUILDS, yes.
31 >
32 > This tool isn't just for ebuilds though, it's also for managing
33 > tmpfiles.d processing at boot time as well as (i assume) via
34 > continuous daemon-like operation for the services that install files
35 > into /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/ (apache, libvirtd, lvm2, mysql, samba are
36 > just a few that I have on my own system right now) when systemd isn't
37 > installed.
38 >
39 > Or am I wrong on this? It'd seem odd that we would go through this
40 > just to make a tool for ebuilds to use, if non-systemd systems aren't
41 > going to use it at boot time as well...
42
43 Right; if the functionality is being stripped out of OpenRC, it will
44 definitely need to remain installed and provide init.d scripts for
45 processing at boot time.