From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tmpfiles virtual
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 13:58:15
1 On 15/11/16 02:56 PM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 2:51 PM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 15/11/16 02:42 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
4 >>> On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 13:57:14 -0500
5 >>> Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>>> On 15/11/16 12:56 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
8 >>>>> OpenRC itself doesn't install any tmpfiles.d files, and my plan is to
9 >>>>> make sure virtual/tmpfiles and opentmpfiles go stable at the same time
10 >>>>> the new OpenRC does, along with at least one package that uses them.
11 >>>>>
12 >>>>> This will also definitely be covered in the upstream OpenRC news.
13 >>>>>
14 >>>>> WRT OpenRC pulling it in, it isn't a build or runtime dependency of
15 >>>>> OpenRC, and it may not even be needed in some cases, so I'm not sure how
16 >>>>> much sense it makes from the OpenRC level to pull it in or which type of
17 >>>>> dependency to use for it.
18 >>>>
19 >>>> I'm with William on this. As long as the packages that install items
20 >>>> (init scripts, whatever) that -do- need tmpfiles.d support depend on
21 >>>> virtual/tmpfilesd, this will ensure it's installed regardless of
22 >>>> whether or not openrc depends on the virtual directly.
23 >>>
24 >>> The ebuilds are going to only need a pkg_*-time dependency on the tool.
25 >>> While this means RDEPEND at the moment due to our dependency class
26 >>> limits, we may have a proper dependency type for it in EAPI 7. In this
27 >>> case, the PM will be allowed to unmerge opentmpfiles as soon
28 >>> as the package is installed.
29 >>>
30 >>
31 >> The EBUILDS, yes.
32 >>
33 >> This tool isn't just for ebuilds though, it's also for managing
34 >> tmpfiles.d processing at boot time as well as (i assume) via
35 >> continuous daemon-like operation for the services that install files
36 >> into /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/ (apache, libvirtd, lvm2, mysql, samba are
37 >> just a few that I have on my own system right now) when systemd isn't
38 >> installed.
39 >>
40 >> Or am I wrong on this? It'd seem odd that we would go through this
41 >> just to make a tool for ebuilds to use, if non-systemd systems aren't
42 >> going to use it at boot time as well...
43 >
44 > Right; if the functionality is being stripped out of OpenRC, it will
45 > definitely need to remain installed and provide init.d scripts for
46 > processing at boot time.
49 Right, so we're back to how will we deal with the init scripts for
50 openrc? I agree that the virtual suffices, and that openrc doesn't
51 need tmpfiles.d processing and so likely shouldn't depend on the
52 virtual. But the init scripts need to be there in some form or another.
53
54 Can we make the virtual install the init.d scripts? I know it's not a
55 true virtual in that case but still..
56
57 Or will opentmpfiles install the current set of scripts while systemd
58 will install a systemd-specific set of scripts for openrc to use?
59 That could work, and likely makes sense as the calling commands and
60 possibly arguments will differ...