From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposed changes to how ebuilds are managed from newsletter.
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 23:53:34
1 On Tuesday 29 April 2003 12:24, Mark Gordon wrote:
2 > > * These thematic groups are not intended to replace or even
3 > > necessarily align with Portage categories. Portage categories are a
4 [skipped]
5 > Since these categories don't align with the portage categories, I assume
6 > the package will specify which category it belongs to in place of the
7 > maintainer field?
8 The implementation details have not been settled yet. Though it is quite
9 likely that this information will be stored mostly server-side (probably with
10 an option to query for it).
11
12 > > this proposal sounds good from the developers side .. but shows very
13 > > little leeway for user contributed interaction which from reading many
14 [skipped]
15 > Perhaps users should say if they are prepared to maintain a package when
16 > they submit the ebuild, and if they are and no other developer is
17 > interested they can be considered as a junior maintainer?
18 Well, it is important to understand that this rerganization mostly concerns
19 the developer side, as was pointed out in the text (and mentioned today by
20 Dan Armak).
21 This has to settle first, before we will be able to proceed to implementing
22 any user-side changes, as that clearly depends on inner organization. However
23 the ideas of how to ease the ebuild processing are discussed as well. If you
24 look at the featured dev section and follow the link to that bug ;) (I am
25 talking about GWN, since this thread seem to have started off it, but just in
26 case, that's #1523), you'll see such approach proposed. Parts of that has
27 already made it into portage (KEYWORDS, gentoo-stats/stable, the latter ones
28 are actually revamped to interoperate and scale better, but are nonetheless
29 in function!).
30
31 > > I also think users can be used a lot better to do little things that
32 > > developers needn't have to do .. but end up doing anyway, like looking
33 > > for latest versions of packages already in the portage tree. This
34 [skipped]
35 > > Maybe be a little more clear on how users will interact with
36 > > developers in the ebuild system will help since users are very keen on
37 > > helping with ebuilds.
38 > Perhaps also have a way for users to register that they are monitor a
39 > package, so developers can decide to spend less time checking for
40 > updates on packages where several users are also checking?
41 Yep, that's the idea. In fact large part of this user-dev interaction is going
42 to be covered by the dev-side reorganization. As soon as the
43 maintainer/developer/watcher positions are split and finalized we will start
44 calling for users to fill in in the places where there is a shortage. As you
45 can guess we cannot do this just now, before this stuff gets settled..
46
47 And thanks for the interest, this is what makes gentoo bettter!
48
49 George
52 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list