From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Adding features to Portage that work on top of any EAPI
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 15:40:55
1 On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
2 <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 19:46:55 +0200
4 <large snip>
5 > What's the scope of the changes? I think it'd be easiest to discuss
6 > this if you posted an informal summary describing the differences in
7 > terms of which bits of PMS are affected.
8
9 Ciaran, others:
10
11 In a way I feel like we (the Prefix project) are mis-using the EAPI
12 value. If we have something that is designed to work with *any* EAPI,
13 is it really a special EAPI? haubi said something on the gentoo-alt
14 list that made me think about this more:
15 "When an usecase of something is orthogonal to what that thing is
16 designed for, one should consider using a different thing for this
17 usecase." -source unknown
18
19 Is this PROPERTIES-like information? Is that easily supportable in the PM?