From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Adding features to Portage that work on top of any EAPI
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 16:10:33
1 On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 10:40:53 -0500
2 "Jeremy Olexa" <darkside@g.o> wrote:
3 > In a way I feel like we (the Prefix project) are mis-using the EAPI
4 > value.
5
6 You're misusing it in the way you treat it as a set of strings rather
7 than a single value. But this being an EAPI thing seems right.
8
9 > If we have something that is designed to work with *any* EAPI,
10 > is it really a special EAPI? haubi said something on the gentoo-alt
11 > list that made me think about this more:
12 > "When an usecase of something is orthogonal to what that thing is
13 > designed for, one should consider using a different thing for this
14 > usecase." -source unknown
15 >
16 > Is this PROPERTIES-like information? Is that easily supportable in
17 > the PM?
18
19 I don't see it as orthogonal.
20
21 Here's the thing: you can't use prefix ebuilds in a non-prefix-aware
22 package manager because things like ED will be unset. If prefix ebuilds
23 could work (as in, install unprefixed) in a purely vanilla package
24 manager with no prefix awareness, it could be done using PROPERTIES or
25 some similar variable. But prefix won't work at all unless its
26 extensions are present, and it also appears to require changes to
27 things that are defined differently in different EAPIs.
28
29 I suspect most of the problem is down to timescale. The prefix
30 development time is spread out over three EAPIs so far, so you need
31 three sets of (mostly similar) extensions. Had prefix taken less time
32 to be worked out, it'd fairly clearly be something that could just go
33 straight in to the next EAPI, with duplicated base system packages in
34 an overlay to avoid having to use new EAPIs for core things in the
35 main tree.
38 Ciaran McCreesh