From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ACCEPT_LICENSE revisited
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 13:21:33
1 On Wed, 2006-11-22 at 01:10 +0100, Marien Zwart wrote:
2 > On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 04:37:39PM -0500, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > Well, we specifically didn't allow a "*" setting because of this.
4 >
5 > Ah, I missed that. Thanks.
6 >
7 > > Perhaps we should make it simple and specify that no interactive license
8 > > should belong to a group? That would mean that since we don't include
9 > > it in a group, it won't be part of the "wildcard" NON-INTERACTIVE (or
10 > > whatever it's called) which would make the behavior the same as we
11 > > currently have with check_license, since I think adding group support to
12 > > check_license would be pointless when we're trying to replace it.
13 >
14 > I think that would be a good idea. Alternatively portage could export
15 > ACCEPT_LICENSES with the groups expanded. I think that would be
16 > slightly less confusing, although I agree it will probably not come up
17 > in practice (since it is not that likely that licenses used with
18 > check_license will be used in a group). But relying on that not
19 > happening would be a bit icky.
20
21 Hrrrmn... expanding ACCEPT_LICENSE would make things less ambiguous. I
22 still think that defining that no interactive licenses should be a part
23 of a group would be a good idea.
24
25 > Am I correct in assuming that check_license will be phased out
26 > "eventually" (at some undefined time when everyone runs a portage
27 > supporting ACCEPT_LICENSE)? Perhaps it would be a good idea to include
28 > some information about how this new portage feature interacts with
29 > ACCEPT_LICENSE in the glep (I am assuming more people than just me
30 > were not aware check_license checked the ACCEPT_LICENSE env var)? That
31 > is, explain licenses included in ACCEPT_LICENSE cause check_license to
32 > be "silent", and explain if new ebuilds should be using it or not?
33
34 Correct, check_license will be phased out, as portage will do the job of
35 displaying the license and instructing the user on how to "accept" it.
36
37 I do think some more information on how things currently work and how
38 they will work could be useful, as it would remove some of the
39 questions.
42 Chris Gianelloni
43 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
44 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
45 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
46 Gentoo Foundation