From: Marien Zwart <marienz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ACCEPT_LICENSE revisited
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 00:13:48
1 On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 04:37:39PM -0500, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > Well, we specifically didn't allow a "*" setting because of this.
3
4 Ah, I missed that. Thanks.
5
6 > Perhaps we should make it simple and specify that no interactive license
7 > should belong to a group? That would mean that since we don't include
8 > it in a group, it won't be part of the "wildcard" NON-INTERACTIVE (or
9 > whatever it's called) which would make the behavior the same as we
10 > currently have with check_license, since I think adding group support to
11 > check_license would be pointless when we're trying to replace it.
12
13 I think that would be a good idea. Alternatively portage could export
14 ACCEPT_LICENSES with the groups expanded. I think that would be
15 slightly less confusing, although I agree it will probably not come up
16 in practice (since it is not that likely that licenses used with
17 check_license will be used in a group). But relying on that not
18 happening would be a bit icky.
19
20 Am I correct in assuming that check_license will be phased out
21 "eventually" (at some undefined time when everyone runs a portage
22 supporting ACCEPT_LICENSE)? Perhaps it would be a good idea to include
23 some information about how this new portage feature interacts with
24 ACCEPT_LICENSE in the glep (I am assuming more people than just me
25 were not aware check_license checked the ACCEPT_LICENSE env var)? That
26 is, explain licenses included in ACCEPT_LICENSE cause check_license to
27 be "silent", and explain if new ebuilds should be using it or not?
30 Marien.