From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: addition of virtual/fonts package
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 17:16:23
1 Jeremy Olexa wrote:
2 > Ryan Hill wrote:
3 >> On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 22:03:53 -0500
4 >> Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> I'm thinking that a virtual/fonts package would be a good addition to
7 >>> the tree. We have hit this issue in Gentoo Prefix where any font
8 >>> package would satisfy a dependency. I also have an open bug where a
9 >>> package depends on corefonts but the reporter has stated that another
10 >>> fonts package will work. Frankly, I would rather *not* depend on the
11 >>> proprietary M$ fonts, myself. So my proposal would be to make every
12 >>> fonts package satisfy some virtual and then other packages can depend
13 >>> on that virtual to satisfy the need for *some* fonts. I just don't
14 >>> have a game plan for the best way to do it.
15 >>>
16 >>> Do you people agree that this could be useful?
17 >>> Does anyone have a suggestion for the best way to get it done?
18 >>
19 >> Is it something like currently deps on corefonts but liberation-fonts
20 >> works? I think there was a bug open somewhere for that at some point.
21 >> I could see a virtual on a some agreed upon choice of core fonts, but
22 >> to have every font package in it...
23 >
24 > Yes, that is my open bug that I have at the moment. bug #215661. But it
25 > is not the first time I have come across this. Maybe every font package
26 > satisfying a virtual is silly, I don't know. Maybe there are only a
27 > couple of package which can be interchanged, is it known which ones? If
28 > that was the case, then it is trivial to do || ( corefonts
29 > liberation-fonts ) and the case is closed here.
32 >> There are also lot of packages that depend on ttf-bitstream-vera that
33 >> might work just as easily with dejavu.
36 > I have heard this as well.
39 I think the proposal for a virtual/fonts is very useful. I don't know if
40 there are any cases where bitmap fonts would be needed instead of
41 truetype fonts. But if that is the case, we should make separate
42 virtuals for those.
43
44 I think it would be best to add the more common font packages to the
45 fonts virtual, and not all. I'd propose something along the lines of:
46 || ( dejavu liberation-fonts ttf-bitstream-vera corefonts )
49 Ben de Groot
50 Gentoo Linux developer (lxde, media, desktop-misc)
51 Gentoo Linux Release Engineering PR liaison
53
54 yngwin@g.o
55 http://ben.liveforge.org/
56 irc://chat.freenode.net/#gentoo-media
57 irc://irc.oftc.net/#lxde