From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: addition of virtual/fonts package
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 12:28:47
1 Ryan Hill wrote:
2 > On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 22:03:53 -0500
3 > Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I'm thinking that a virtual/fonts package would be a good addition to
6 >> the tree. We have hit this issue in Gentoo Prefix where any font
7 >> package would satisfy a dependency. I also have an open bug where a
8 >> package depends on corefonts but the reporter has stated that another
9 >> fonts package will work. Frankly, I would rather *not* depend on the
10 >> proprietary M$ fonts, myself. So my proposal would be to make every
11 >> fonts package satisfy some virtual and then other packages can depend
12 >> on that virtual to satisfy the need for *some* fonts. I just don't
13 >> have a game plan for the best way to do it.
14 >>
15 >> Do you people agree that this could be useful?
16 >> Does anyone have a suggestion for the best way to get it done?
17 >
18 > Is it something like currently deps on corefonts but liberation-fonts
19 > works? I think there was a bug open somewhere for that at some point.
20 > I could see a virtual on a some agreed upon choice of core fonts, but
21 > to have every font package in it...
22
23 Yes, that is my open bug that I have at the moment. bug #215661. But it
24 is not the first time I have come across this. Maybe every font package
25 satisfying a virtual is silly, I don't know. Maybe there are only a
26 couple of package which can be interchanged, is it known which ones? If
27 that was the case, then it is trivial to do || ( corefonts
28 liberation-fonts ) and the case is closed here.
31 > There are also lot of packages that depend on ttf-bitstream-vera that
32 > might work just as easily with dejavu.
35 I have heard this as well.