From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: addition of virtual/fonts package
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 05:19:44
1 On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 22:03:53 -0500
2 Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I'm thinking that a virtual/fonts package would be a good addition to
5 > the tree. We have hit this issue in Gentoo Prefix where any font
6 > package would satisfy a dependency. I also have an open bug where a
7 > package depends on corefonts but the reporter has stated that another
8 > fonts package will work. Frankly, I would rather *not* depend on the
9 > proprietary M$ fonts, myself. So my proposal would be to make every
10 > fonts package satisfy some virtual and then other packages can depend
11 > on that virtual to satisfy the need for *some* fonts. I just don't
12 > have a game plan for the best way to do it.
13 >
14 > Do you people agree that this could be useful?
15 > Does anyone have a suggestion for the best way to get it done?
16
17 Is it something like currently deps on corefonts but liberation-fonts
18 works? I think there was a bug open somewhere for that at some point.
19 I could see a virtual on a some agreed upon choice of core fonts, but
20 to have every font package in it...
21
22 There are also lot of packages that depend on ttf-bitstream-vera that
23 might work just as easily with dejavu.
26 gcc-porting, by design, by neglect
27 treecleaner, for a fact or just for effect
28 wxwidgets @ gentoo EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662