From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] No XFree86 w/ new license
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:50:35
1 On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 10:13, CJ Kucera wrote:
2 > Yeah, I figured that livecds and GRP packages would have to stay at
3 > the 4.3 version. But I'm still a bit hazy on what would prevent a
4 > simple ebuild from living in Portage's tree. It seems to me that,
5 > among the 300+ licenses which *are* acceptable in Portage, this new
6 > one couldn't be the "worst" of them. Wasn't there some work being
7 > done to provide an "ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES" var or something? So
8 > someone not wanting to deal with the extra requirements in the
9 > new XFree license wouldn't have to worry about having it installed.
10
11 Here's a paragraph I wrote earlier:
12
13 "If Gentoo distributes a GPL program or driver that can build against
14 any of the XFree86-licensed sources (for example, the SDK), Gentoo
15 probably violates the GPL. If Gentoo distributes a GPL XFree86 driver
16 (for example, x11-misc/synaptics) that can load into this X server,
17 Gentoo probably violates the GPL."
18
19 This is because the GPL requires the complete work to be licensed
20 without any additional restrictions than the GPL, and the complete work
21 would include any files the synaptics driver built against, and
22 potentially even any files in the X server the synaptics driver loads
23 into. The new license creates such restrictions in multiple files that
24 are built into the resulting X server. I haven't researched whether the
25 exact files the synaptics driver builds against are under this new
26 license, but it's quite possible that the "complete work" would be
27 considered not just those files but the complete SDK (software
28 development kit), which external drivers such as synaptics can build
29 against.
30
31 It's not that the new license of XFree86 explicitly prevents us from
32 providing it, rather that when combined with the GPL of various external
33 drivers the results are questionable. Just settling to not provide these
34 drivers is unacceptable.
35
36 And again, there are other issues that I mentioned in my earlier email
37 such as the closed development and so forth. This license change is more
38 significant when viewed in context of what else has been going on within
39 XFree86. I'll refer you to my old reference list and the
40 devel@×××××××.org and forum@×××××××.org archives for more information --
41 Google for them if you can't find them.
42
43 Thanks,
44 Donnie
45 --