From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Cross Post due to technical component - Thanks for all the fish
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 07:44:43
1 james posted on Tue, 06 Dec 2016 22:10:16 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > Really, for someone like me, it is just best to avoid irc.
4
5 FWIW, some 12 years ago now, in 2004, I started using gentoo, with the
6 intent of contributing and potentially eventually becoming a dev.
7
8 Somewhere along the line but rather early in the process, I read that IRC
9 was absolutely required at least for the final interview, and given that
10 I too strongly prefer email (or for group communications better yet
11 newsgroups, with gmane being that bridge for most mailing lists), I
12 decided my contributions, such as they are, can be better made either
13 elsewhere, or to gentoo, but without becoming a dev.
14
15 Put it this way. There's a lot of FLOSS projects out there hurting for
16 devs, and if some of them throw up entirely artificial barriers that some
17 have problems with to the direct repo contribution level when there are
18 so many other options that don't, fine, it's their prerogative, but they
19 obviously aren't hurting for devs as much as they might claim, if they
20 have the luxury of throwing up such artificial barriers to filter some
21 potential contributors out.
22
23 Much later, likely after some recruiters project changes, someone from
24 recruiters clarified that IRC on the final interview isn't actually
25 /required/, there might be ways around it in individual cases.
26 Apparently it does need to be real-time synchronous for some reason, but
27 he suggested that a (VoIP?) phone call or the like could be arranged as
28 an alternative. In theory I could do that.
29
30 But by then, while I continued then and continue now to use gentoo as it
31 really does seem the best and most flexible scripted build-it-yourself
32 distro out there, my enthusiasm for becoming a dev had burned off due to
33 finding it simply wasn't an option for so long, and given all the work
34 involved, I decided I could simply remain as I was and as I have for now
35 over a decade, a gentoo user and contributor on various lists, bugzilla,
36 etc, as well as a generally non-coder contributor to a few selected
37 upstreams.
38
39 Now it seems to be IRC hard-required again. <shrug>
40
41 I do find it a bit ironic, tho, since literally generations of devs have
42 come and gone since I started, always with the intent to contribute to
43 the best of my ability, back in 2004. From my perspective, that's a lot
44 of additional contributions missed in the decade-plus since then.
45 Furthermore, I see little reason I'll not still be gentooing in another
46 decade, even three, by which time I'd be turning 80 (I'm turning 50 in
47 January), if both gentoo and I are still around by then. That's a
48 lifetime of additional contributions from my perspective needlessly
49 missed, but I guess they must not be so desperately needed after all,
50 apparently because the quality of contributions from people that don't
51 IRC are of significantly enough lower quality that it's simply not worth
52 bothering to recruit those folks. <shrug>
57 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman