From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Cross Post due to technical component - Thanks for all the fish
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 03:10:29
1 On 12/06/2016 09:52 PM, Sam Jorna wrote:
2 > On Tue, Dec 06, 2016 at 09:44:12PM -0500, james wrote:
3 >> On 12/06/2016 09:09 PM, M. J. Everitt wrote:
4 >>
5 >>>> James
6 >>>>
7 >>> With the creation of the Mentors project
8 >>> (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Mentors) a bit of clarification
9 >>> has occurred to help prospective developers outside the IRC and/or
10 >>> proxy-maintainers project).
11 >>
12 >> Am I to understand that the 'Mentors' are a pathway to gaining
13 >> gentoo-dev status (still the same requirements) but I do not have to use
14 >> IRC to communicate with whomever?
15 >
16 > In order to become a Gentoo developer you do need a mentor[0]. If
17 > instead you're only looking to proxy-maintain a package(s), you can work
18 > either through the Proxy Maintainers project or directly with a
19 > developer (if they're the maintainer).
20 >
21 >> If so; Halaluyah! and count me in. I hate irc, with a passion, just so
22 >> you know.
23 >
24 > How you communicate with your mentor is up to you and your mentor. Going
25 > through the recruitment [0]process does require a review session which,
26 > as far as I know, is only held on IRC, but otherwise it's up to you to
27 > organise what medium you use.
28 >
29 >>> The Recruiters project page contains links
30 >>> to the current quizzes (linked therein).
31 >>>
32 >>> hth.
36 >> On this page, the string 'quiz' occurs (3) times. I find no links to the
37 >> current quizes?
38 >>
39 >> Did I miss something?
40 >
41 > The links to the quizzes are [1]here.
42 >
43 > [0] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Recruiters#What_does_the_recruitment_process_involve.3F
44 > [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Recruiters#Current_quizzes
47 Thanks guys. I'm going to finish up the new quizzes on my own.
48 Perhaps you guys should 'draw straws' so in a few weeks/months
49 we can rapidly complete the dev application process. Ive got over 2
50 years on this off and on.
51
52 I promise to present at lest 10 ebuilds as a body of work (EAPI-6 OK?)?
53 Yes I do prefer email over irc. If you force irc on me, then I think it
54 would be nice to have a streamlined method so the instant I fire it up,
55 it is secure and I do not have to haggle with interlopers via the channel.
56
57 I'm not a fan of 'gang rape' either, so hopefully irc channel comes
58 complete with manners and respect, regardless of who has what technical
59 acumen over the others? Is that too much to ask? Really, for someone
60 like me, it is just best to avoid irc.
63 James