From: Sam Jorna <wraeth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Cross Post due to technical component - Thanks for all the fish
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 02:52:32
1 On Tue, Dec 06, 2016 at 09:44:12PM -0500, james wrote:
2 > On 12/06/2016 09:09 PM, M. J. Everitt wrote:
3 >
4 > >> James
5 > >>
6 > > With the creation of the Mentors project
7 > > (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Mentors) a bit of clarification
8 > > has occurred to help prospective developers outside the IRC and/or
9 > > proxy-maintainers project).
10 >
11 > Am I to understand that the 'Mentors' are a pathway to gaining
12 > gentoo-dev status (still the same requirements) but I do not have to use
13 > IRC to communicate with whomever?
14
15 In order to become a Gentoo developer you do need a mentor[0]. If
16 instead you're only looking to proxy-maintain a package(s), you can work
17 either through the Proxy Maintainers project or directly with a
18 developer (if they're the maintainer).
19
20 > If so; Halaluyah! and count me in. I hate irc, with a passion, just so
21 > you know.
22
23 How you communicate with your mentor is up to you and your mentor. Going
24 through the recruitment [0]process does require a review session which,
25 as far as I know, is only held on IRC, but otherwise it's up to you to
26 organise what medium you use.
27
28 > > The Recruiters project page contains links
29 > > to the current quizzes (linked therein).
30 > >
31 > > hth.
35 > On this page, the string 'quiz' occurs (3) times. I find no links to the
36 > current quizes?
37 >
38 > Did I miss something?
39
40 The links to the quizzes are [1]here.
41
42 [0] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Recruiters#What_does_the_recruitment_process_involve.3F
43 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Recruiters#Current_quizzes
46 Sam Jorna (wraeth)