From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
To: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in dev-python/PyZilla: PyZilla-0.1.0.ebuild ChangeLog metadata.xml
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 21:26:18
1 On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 1:47 AM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 7:40 PM, Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Sure, that's the history. But what made sense back then doesn't make
4 >> sense now. Back then we didn't have 600+ packages that no one
5 >> maintains, and whose bugs go almost entirely unread. We had crazy
6 >> amounts of manpower back then.
7 >
8 > We probably had more than 600 unmaintained packages because no one was
9 > removing dead packages from the tree.  I also dispute your manpower
10 > logic.  Gentoo has been short on developers for years.  I don't see
11 > how 2011 is any different than 2007 in this aspect.
14 The current problem is burnt-out or semi-active devs who commit
15 occasionally, but aren't able to help with any herd-related work
16 because they're out of touch. As such, their presence in the team
17 gives a false indication of strength. This problem was much less
18 severe in 2007 (afair).
21 >> As we evolve, the responsibilities of the different parts of Gentoo
22 >> also evolve. As such, the tree-cleaners project has evolved, and if
23 >> the team isn't allowed to clean the tree, then why do we even have it
24 >> anymore?
25 >
26 > The community got pissed when I deleted unmaintained packages from the
27 > tree 'just because it was unmaintained.'  Thats why there were a set
28 > of criteria for removal.  Maybe they changed their mind and you can
29 > convince them.
30
31 Well, I bet that more than half of them retired or stopped being active.
32
33 > Ignoring people's opinions because they are whiners
34 > and you are Treecleaners is a thin edge to walk though; so I'd be
35 > careful.
38 > At least during my tenure there were still hundreds of
39 > unmaintained and broken packages; so I didn't much care about
40 > unmaintained but working stuff (since there was plenty of work to do.)
41 >  I would argue the tree is still in a similar state.
44 The fun part is that we really don't even know in what state those
45 packages are w.r.t. runtime issues. I know that deigo's tinderbox
46 keeps track of compile-time issues *extremely* well, but we have zero
47 runtime testing.
50 >> I really don't understand *why* people want to keep around
51 >> unmaintained packages. If a package is not maintained, we should come
52 >> up and say it outright. Trying to maintain the illusion of maintenance
53 >> is really bad — for each person reporting a bug about a package, 100
54 >> people who got that same bug don't report it at all. So what happens
55 >> when there are just 50 users for some packages? Half the time we won't
56 >> even know that one of them is broken[1]. The rest of the time, users
57 >> will get a bad impression of Gentoo saying "Man, half the packages
58 >> don't even work".
59 >
60 > Properly tagged I don't think there is any illusion.
61 > Maintainer-needed is maintainer-needed after all.
62
63 The problem is that from the PoV of the user, everything in the tree
64 is "official". After all, that's how all the distros function.
65
66 > So launch gstats and get usage numbers.  If no one is using a package
67 > that is a keen indicator it can be punted; however no one will get off
68 > their ass and get more data to back anything up (myself included...)
69
70 If we launch gstats *today*, it'll take us at least a long time before
71 we get decent numbers, and even after that, those numbers will be
72 biased towards those people who are really active in following Gentoo
73 news and developments. Unlike Firefox's usage stats, we have no way of
74 prompting pre-existing gentoo installations with a "Do want to take
75 part in gstats?" question.
76
77 > All of your points above assume we have a decent metric of 'how many
78 > users a package has' and about the only way we know that is when users
79 > file bugs for it (version bump, bug, feature req, etc..)
82 Yes. But we have another (more reliable) way: p.mask it and wait for
83 people to complain.
86 >> We all like to boast about how gentoo has 15,000 packages, but we
87 >> neglect to mention that more than 1000 of these are either
88 >> unmaintained or very poorly maintained. And this is a very
89 >> conservative number.
90 >
91 > But again this is all made up...m-n was 670-odd packages last I
92 > checked.  Do we still have m-w these days?
95 "very poorly" meant "maintainers ignoring bugs for years", or empty
96 herds. We have plenty of both.
99 ~Nirbheek Chauhan
100
101 Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team