From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] On git and pushing official gentoo branches
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 17:32:59
1 On 01:15 Mon 27 Apr , Gilles Dartiguelongue wrote:
2 > Well I'm more looking into giving upstream the possibility to pick
3 > what we've done by a single git cherry-pick or merge. format-patch
4 > works well, it's what I'm using to keep patches in sync with upstream
5 > changes but what I'm really looking for is a way to say to upstream
6 > "look, that's where patches for your project are hold in gentoo land,
7 > come and pick everything you think is worth it" (sure I can point to
8 > sources.gentoo.org but that's not what I'm looking for).
9
10 Ideally we could have vendor branches on the upstream git repo. It
11 doesn't get any easier to find than that.
12
13 Another option is to have a Gentoo-only repository. I think the best
14 approach for upstream is to have topic branches (each branch only has
15 patches related to one feature). A somewhat easier approach for us is to
16 just stick all the Gentoo patches on a single branch forked off the
17 upstream branch.
18
19 We could host repos on a Gentoo git server, a la
20 <http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/xserver.git;a=summary>.
21 If you scroll down to the bottom, you'll see a branch called
22 server-1.5-branch-exa-backports that can be compared with the upstream
23 server-1.5-branch.
24
25 See vcs-pkg.org for all kinds of ideas about how to handle this.
28 Thanks,
29 Donnie
30
31 Donnie Berkholz