From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] ACCEPT_RESTRICT for questionable values of RESTRICT
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 21:50:01
1 On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 21:01 +0100, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 10 January 2007 19:03, Jakub Moc wrote:
3 > > Mike Frysinger napsal(a):
4 > > > On Wednesday 10 January 2007 09:34, Jakub Moc wrote:
5 > > >> Huh? I was referring to this link [1] on Bug 161045 (which presumably
6 > > >> started this whole debate)
7 > > >
8 > > > so you're replying to a non-gentoo-dev thread on a gentoo-dev thread when
9 > > > the threads arent even closely related ? how does that make sense ?
10 > > >
11 > > > this thread has nothing to do with commercial packages
12 > >
13 > > No, it does not. And RESTRICT=sandbox is still completely unneeded,
14 > > commercial packages or not... We don't need to introduce a special
15 > > RESTRICT because of two borked packages in the tree and we should not
16 > > introduce any more packages borked in a similar way into the tree.
17 >
18 > I agree. The restrict should only be even considered when it is clear that the
19 > sandbox is indeed flawed by concept and cannot be fixed.
20
21 That's fine, but it still doesn't remove the usefulness of an
22 ACCEPT_RESTRICT for some other variables.
23
24 Think of it this way... a user *chose* to add a FEATURE. We have a
25 package that doesn't work with that FEATURE. Currently, we "tell" the
26 user they're wrong and do it our way, no matter what. There's no
27 mechanism for the user to say "Always do what I say. I'd rather not
28 install the package if it doesn't work with $FEATURE." which could be
29 solved with ACCEPT_RESTRICT. It gives the power back to the user, not
30 the ebuild writer.
33 Chris Gianelloni
34 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
35 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
36 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
37 Gentoo Foundation