From: Collins Richey <erichey2@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kernel source for gentoo
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 11:28:48
1 On Sun, 13 May 2001 16:08:07 +0200 AGottinger@××××××××.de (Achim Gottinger)
2 wrote:
3
4 > Collins Richey wrote:
5 > >
6 > > I'm trying to understand where you hide the kernel source on gentoo and
7 > > where the options used to generate the standard gentoo kernel are
8 > located.
9 > > All that I find under /usr/src is several sets of /include directories
10 > but
11 > > no source tree.
12 > >
13 > > The kernel you supply, for example, has no sound modules compiled, and
14 > I
15 > > would like to recompile for sound support (esssolo1.o and soundcore.o
16 > are
17 > > needed) without breaking anything else.
18 >
19 > (The default kernel contains all alsa sound modules)
22 > > I understand building kernels from way back, but what's the
23 > gentoo-style
24 > > procedure for doing this?
25 >
26 > Current kernel source poackage is broken, eigher use
27 > linux-source-2.4.4-rx.ebuild or
28 > use a default kernel and run a manual config inbetween.
29 >
30 > cd /usr/portage/sys-kernel/linux
31 > ebuild linux-2.4.4.5.ebuild unpack
32 > cd /tmp/portage/linux-2.4.4.5/work/linux
33 > make menuconfig
34 > cd /usr/portage/sys-kernel/linux
35 > ebuild linux-2.4.4.5.ebuild merge
39 I see nothing in the procedure about a kernel (bzImage) name. Does thios
40 procedure overwrite your working kernel? (probably not a very good idea!)
43 Collins Richey
44 Denver area
45 gentoo system