From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kernel source for gentoo
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 11:36:02
1 Collins Richey wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sun, 13 May 2001 16:08:07 +0200 AGottinger@××××××××.de (Achim Gottinger)
4 > wrote:
5 >
6 > > Collins Richey wrote:
7 > > >
8 > > > I'm trying to understand where you hide the kernel source on gentoo and
9 > > > where the options used to generate the standard gentoo kernel are
10 > > located.
11 > > > All that I find under /usr/src is several sets of /include directories
12 > > but
13 > > > no source tree.
14 > > >
15 > > > The kernel you supply, for example, has no sound modules compiled, and
16 > > I
17 > > > would like to recompile for sound support (esssolo1.o and soundcore.o
18 > > are
19 > > > needed) without breaking anything else.
20 > >
21 > > (The default kernel contains all alsa sound modules)
22 > >
23 > > >
24 > > > I understand building kernels from way back, but what's the
25 > > gentoo-style
26 > > > procedure for doing this?
27 > >
28 > > Current kernel source poackage is broken, eigher use
29 > > linux-source-2.4.4-rx.ebuild or
30 > > use a default kernel and run a manual config inbetween.
31 > >
32 > > cd /usr/portage/sys-kernel/linux
33 > > ebuild linux-2.4.4.5.ebuild unpack
34 > > cd /tmp/portage/linux-2.4.4.5/work/linux
35 > > make menuconfig
36 > > cd /usr/portage/sys-kernel/linux
37 > > ebuild linux-2.4.4.5.ebuild merge
41 > I see nothing in the procedure about a kernel (bzImage) name. Does thios
42 > procedure overwrite your working kernel? (probably not a very good idea!)
43 >
44 The kernel gets installed as /boot/boot/bzImage
45
46 achim~
47
48 > --