From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] man pages: build or copy?
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2016 14:13:33
1 On 07/09/2016 09:54 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > I've created an ebuild for net-misc/zerotier [1]. This has a BDEP on
3 > app-text/ronn, the build system uses it to create the man pages. The
4 > trouble is that ronn is a Ruby program and pulls in a shedload of
5 > dependencies, just to install man pages.
6
7 Ruby packages (besides dev-lang/ruby itself) install quickly, like perl
8 packages, so this isn't a *huge* deal. They can also be removed
9 afterwards with a depclean.
12 > It seems to me to make more sense to put pre-built man pages in
13 > ${FILESDIR}/${PV} and copy them with doman. Is this considered the
14 > correct or acceptable way to deal with this?
15
16 It's up to you. If they release a new version every day, it's going to
17 get real annoying to regenerate the man pages each time. Also keep an
18 eye on the size of the man pages. We have a soft limit of "a few
19 kilobytes" for things in FILESDIR, which may mean you'd have to upload
20 the man pages somewhere else and include that in SRC_URI. Doing so makes
21 the regeneration process even more annoying.
22
23 Nevertheless, I've had to pre-build man pages for a few packages myself.