From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] man pages: build or copy?
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2016 22:25:08
1 On Sat, 9 Jul 2016 10:13:13 -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2
3 > On 07/09/2016 09:54 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > > I've created an ebuild for net-misc/zerotier [1]. This has a BDEP on
5 > > app-text/ronn, the build system uses it to create the man pages. The
6 > > trouble is that ronn is a Ruby program and pulls in a shedload of
7 > > dependencies, just to install man pages.
8 >
9 > Ruby packages (besides dev-lang/ruby itself) install quickly, like perl
10 > packages, so this isn't a *huge* deal. They can also be removed
11 > afterwards with a depclean.
12
13 That's when it really hurt, installing on a system without ruby itself.
14 That's when I looked at alternatives.
15
16 > > It seems to me to make more sense to put pre-built man pages in
17 > > ${FILESDIR}/${PV} and copy them with doman. Is this considered the
18 > > correct or acceptable way to deal with this?
19 >
20 > It's up to you. If they release a new version every day, it's going to
21 > get real annoying to regenerate the man pages each time. Also keep an
22 > eye on the size of the man pages. We have a soft limit of "a few
23 > kilobytes" for things in FILESDIR,
24
25 There's only three of them, totally 15kB uncompressed.
29 Neil Bothwick
30
31 Nothing is illegal if one hundred businessmen decide to do it.