From: "Jared H. Hudson" <jhhudso@××××××××××.com>
To: Vik Olliver <vik@××××××××××××××××××.nz>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gnunet and Gentoo
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 16:47:38
1 This sounds a look a good idea. In fact the MD5 checksums are already a
2 part of portage, in the files section of any package directory.
3
4 You should be aware though, that the source files and patches that are
5 downloaded come first from ftp.ibiblio.org, then from the origanal website
6 for that package.
7
8 For example, emerge'ing emacs would try ftp.ibiblio.org then gnu.org. The
9 only files that come from Gentoo's main site is the packages/misc small files
10 like md5 digest, ect. All of this is via rsync or CVS.
11
12 So, the only benefit to a P2P system would be for another place besides
13 ftp.ibiblio.org, its mirrors, or original site to download from.
14
15 -Jared H.
16