From: Vik Olliver <vik@××××××××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gnunet and Gentoo
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 16:17:21
1 Now that Gnunet has settled down:
2
3 http://gecko.cs.purdue.edu/gnet/
4
5 Might it be possible to use Gnunet to distribute the source tarballs
6 among Gentoo installations?
7
8 As most users will tend to have their tarballs stored locally and are
9 very likely to have a network connection, Gentoo is an ideal
10 distribution for P2P updating - provided that some trusted GPG signature
11 (or MD5 at a pinch) can be used to verify the integrity of the source.
12
13 Implementing this system frees Gentoo and all its applications from the
14 burden and expense of having to maintain a central source repository
15 with high bandwidth, allowing the distribution to grow freely at its own
16 pace. Fixes will percolate through automatically, software that is
17 banned in backward parts of the world will come through via untraceable
18 routes, and the caching will ensure that the file requests are
19 distributed evenly.
20
21 I regret that I am already fully comitted (possibly over-comitted) to
22 charitable projects already, but I believe this idea should be aired to
23 those willing and able to implement it.
24
25 Regards,
26
27 Vik Olliver
28 --
30 \ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign One of The Olliver Family \ /
31 X - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail http://olliver.family.gen.nz X
32 / \ - NO MSWord docs in e-mail Public PGP key available there / \