From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: Matthew Kennedy <mkennedy@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo internal structure
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 07:33:33
1 On Sat, Nov 22, 2003 at 01:06:05AM -0600, Matthew Kennedy wrote:
2 > Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> writes:
3 >
4 > > On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 09:16:19AM -0600, Matthew Kennedy wrote:
5 > >> Personally, I am only interested in supporting and using free
6 > >> software, so...
7 > >>
8 > >> The best solution is just to remove support for anything non-free in
9 > >> portage and to also remove any non-free software from our mirrors.
10 > >> Let some other external project step up to the plate and provide a
11 > >> non-free overlay if they wish.
12 > >
13 > > I disagree. Give the users who want the chance to not use "non-free"
14 > > software, but also give the others the chance to use non-free software.
15 > >
16 > > I think you'll get a lot of gamers against you when you tell them you don't
17 > > want them to easily install their favorite non-free game :)
18 >
19 > [...]
20 >
21 > Jon, Sven,
22 >
23 > Obviously, its more important that the "gamers" are not upset by a
24 > single line change in make.conf. The principle of building a Free
25 > software distribution has got to be less important than that.
28 And because I forgot to mention it in my previous mail...
29
30 You were not suggesting making people make a single line change. You
31 were suggesting forcing all nonfree software out of the tree.
34 Jon Portnoy
35 avenj/irc.freenode.net
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list