From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ACCEPT_LICENSE revisited
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 17:01:45
1 On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 09:48:42 -0500
2 Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > It does with Id Software, which is the only company who has ever made
5 > any sort of complaint, which is what brought about check_license in
6 > the first place.
7
8 I think it would be a good idea to document this more explicitly in the
9 GLEP, perhaps under "Motivation". Then if people come back to it later,
10 the reasons are not lost:
11
12 Current text from "Motivation":
13 ----
14 Furthermore, some software requires that a user interactively accept
15 its license for its author's to consider it legally binding. This is
16 currently implemented using ``eutils.eclass``.
17 ----
18
19 Suggest:
20 ----
21 Furthermore, some software licenses must be accepted interactively
22 when the package is installed for the licensor to consider it legally
23 binding. For example this has been explicitly brought to Gentoo's
24 attention by Id Software, and upon inspection other software packages
25 have similar license conditions.
26 This is currently implemented using ``eutils.eclass``, and this
27 GLEP does not affect how such licenses are accepted.
28 ----
31 Am I correct in thinking that the ACCEPT_LICENSE behaviour will just
32 affect how portage calculates whether something can be installed or not
33 (much like the behaviour w.r.t. KEYWORDS)? In this is the case,
34 interactivity doesn't have much to do with it. As Brian suggests, a
35 RESTRICT=interactive seems to be the most appropriate way to allow the
36 admin to prevent portage from trying to install packages that need
37 interaction during the install (whether it's for inserting CDs,
38 accepting licenses, or any other reason). It depends on what
39 "ACCEPT_LICENSE" means to the package manager. I take it to mean that
40 the package may be considered for inclusion during emerge - i.e. the
41 sysadmin is happy for portage to attempt to install packages under
42 those licenses onto the system - rather than that licenses are actually
43 accepted by the admin or user. If that's correct, perhaps naming it
44 "ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES" would be clearer.
45
46 Some packages require each user to accept the license explicitly when
47 it is run (e.g. Acrobat Reader), some require it to be accepted
48 explicitly during install (Enemy Territory) - in neither case should
49 portage be taking automatic responsibility for actually accepting the
50 license.
53 On naming - please can we avoid calling any group "NOT-<something>".
54 Since the ACCEPT_LICENSE syntax allows -<license>, it's much better to
55 use affirmative names always; in this case for example
56 INTERACTIVE-INSTALL-ACCEPTANCE instead of NON-MUST-HAVE-READ. One can
57 define
58
59 ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES="* -@INTERACTIVE-INSTALL-ACCEPTANCE"
60