From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ACCEPT_LICENSE revisited
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 18:55:07
1 On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 17:59 +0100, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
2 > Am I correct in thinking that the ACCEPT_LICENSE behaviour will just
3 > affect how portage calculates whether something can be installed or not
4 > (much like the behaviour w.r.t. KEYWORDS)? In this is the case,
5 > interactivity doesn't have much to do with it. As Brian suggests, a
6 > RESTRICT=interactive seems to be the most appropriate way to allow the
7 > admin to prevent portage from trying to install packages that need
8 > interaction during the install (whether it's for inserting CDs,
9 > accepting licenses, or any other reason). It depends on what
10 > "ACCEPT_LICENSE" means to the package manager. I take it to mean that
11 > the package may be considered for inclusion during emerge - i.e. the
12 > sysadmin is happy for portage to attempt to install packages under
13 > those licenses onto the system - rather than that licenses are actually
14 > accepted by the admin or user. If that's correct, perhaps naming it
15 > "ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES" would be clearer.
16
17 It is used to mask the package, correct. When a package is masked, it
18 gives the output of the license, or, if the license it too large (I
19 think Marius set it at 20K) informs the user to read the license file.
20 It also explains to the user that they will need to read and accept the
21 license.
22
23 RESTRICT="interactive" should be restricted to only the contents of the
24 ebuild. ACCEPT_LICENSE="RTCW-ETEULA" emerge enemy-territory is *not*
25 interactive, whereas "emerge ut2004-data" always is. This is exactly
26 why we are trying to keep licensing separate from ebuild interactivity.
27 They are not the same thing, at all.
28
29 ACCEPT_LICENSE needs to be used for backwards compatibility. It is
30 being used currently by many Gentoo users, myself included, for licenses
31 which I have accepted. ACCEPT_LICENSE is very much like
32 ACCEPT_KEYWORDS. We don't use ACCEPTABLE_KEYWORDS, do we?
33
34 > Some packages require each user to accept the license explicitly when
35 > it is run (e.g. Acrobat Reader), some require it to be accepted
36 > explicitly during install (Enemy Territory) - in neither case should
37 > portage be taking automatic responsibility for actually accepting the
38 > license.
39
40 It isn't. The package manager will not be accepting anything. The
41 *system administrator* does the accepting... just like if I were to
42 "emerge enemy-territory" now.
43
44 > On naming - please can we avoid calling any group "NOT-<something>".
45 > Since the ACCEPT_LICENSE syntax allows -<license>, it's much better to
46 > use affirmative names always; in this case for example
47 > INTERACTIVE-INSTALL-ACCEPTANCE instead of NON-MUST-HAVE-READ. One can
48 > define
49 >
50 > ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES="* -@INTERACTIVE-INSTALL-ACCEPTANCE"
51 >
52 > easily enough.
53
54 Except we don't want that.
55
56 We don't want to support ACCEPT_LICENSE="*" including the interactive
57 licenses, since that *would* be skipping the requirements on the
58 license. This has been discussed on the bug report, already, but unless
59 we made "*" not really equal "*", then it won't work, as it won't fill
60 the requirement that the license is accepted.
61
62 Now, I ask everyone to go read the bug before posting any more comments,
63 since most of this has been discussed quite a bit there, and doesn't
64 need to be rehashed.
67 Chris Gianelloni
68 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
69 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
70 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
71 Gentoo Foundation