From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ACCEPT_LICENSE revisited
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 14:57:18
1 On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 14:03:08 -0500
2 Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 17:59 +0100, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
5 > > Am I correct in thinking that the ACCEPT_LICENSE behaviour will just
6 > > affect how portage calculates whether something can be installed or
7 > > not (much like the behaviour w.r.t. KEYWORDS)? In this is the case,
8 > > interactivity doesn't have much to do with it. As Brian suggests, a
9 > > RESTRICT=interactive seems to be the most appropriate way to allow
10 > > the admin to prevent portage from trying to install packages that
11 > > need interaction during the install (whether it's for inserting CDs,
12 > > accepting licenses, or any other reason). It depends on what
13 > > "ACCEPT_LICENSE" means to the package manager. I take it to mean
14 > > that the package may be considered for inclusion during emerge -
15 > > i.e. the sysadmin is happy for portage to attempt to install
16 > > packages under those licenses onto the system - rather than that
17 > > licenses are actually accepted by the admin or user. If that's
18 > > correct, perhaps naming it "ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES" would be clearer.
19 >
20 > It is used to mask the package, correct. When a package is masked, it
21 > gives the output of the license, or, if the license it too large (I
22 > think Marius set it at 20K) informs the user to read the license file.
23 > It also explains to the user that they will need to read and accept
24 > the license.
25 >
26 > RESTRICT="interactive" should be restricted to only the contents of
27 > the ebuild. ACCEPT_LICENSE="RTCW-ETEULA" emerge enemy-territory is
28 > *not* interactive,
29
30 That's what I've missed then. I didn't realise that setting
31 ACCEPT_LICENSE would inhibit the interactive confirmation that the
32 license has been read. It means that ACCEPT_LICENSE is a list of
33 licenses that have been accepted (which is not what I thought it was).
34
35 > whereas "emerge ut2004-data" always is. This is
36 > exactly why we are trying to keep licensing separate from ebuild
37 > interactivity. They are not the same thing, at all.
38 >
39 > ACCEPT_LICENSE needs to be used for backwards compatibility. It is
40 > being used currently by many Gentoo users, myself included, for
41 > licenses which I have accepted. ACCEPT_LICENSE is very much like
42 > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS. We don't use ACCEPTABLE_KEYWORDS, do we?
43
44 The suggestion to use ACCEPTABLE_LICENSE was to highlight the
45 difference; i.e. that ACCEPT_LICENSE means matching licenses have
46 actually been accepted, rather than ACCEPTABLE_LICENSE meaning licenses
47 that the system owner allows users to accept. Since ACCEPT_LICENSE does
48 affirm the license has been accepted, ACCEPTABLE_LICENSE would be wrong
49 and that suggestion goes down the pan. In retrospect it's complete
50 garbage.
51
52 > > Some packages require each user to accept the license explicitly
53 > > when it is run (e.g. Acrobat Reader), some require it to be accepted
54 > > explicitly during install (Enemy Territory) - in neither case should
55 > > portage be taking automatic responsibility for actually accepting
56 > > the license.
57 >
58 > It isn't. The package manager will not be accepting anything. The
59 > *system administrator* does the accepting... just like if I were to
60 > "emerge enemy-territory" now.
61 >
62 > > On naming - please can we avoid calling any group "NOT-<something>".
63 > > Since the ACCEPT_LICENSE syntax allows -<license>, it's much better
64 > > to use affirmative names always; in this case for example
65 > > INTERACTIVE-INSTALL-ACCEPTANCE instead of NON-MUST-HAVE-READ. One
66 > > can define
67 > >
68 > > ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES="* -@INTERACTIVE-INSTALL-ACCEPTANCE"
69 > >
70 > > easily enough.
71 >
72 > Except we don't want that.
73 >
74 > We don't want to support ACCEPT_LICENSE="*" including the interactive
75 > licenses, since that *would* be skipping the requirements on the
76 > license. This has been discussed on the bug report, already, but
77 > unless we made "*" not really equal "*", then it won't work, as it
78 > won't fill the requirement that the license is accepted.
79
80 OK that's fine. I'd still like to see a positive rather than a
81 negative name, but I admit I can't think of a good one to cover what
82 NOT-MUST-HAVE-READ would cover. Following the discussion about "*"
83 from the bug (#152593 for those who don't know), I can see why
84 you'd rather not have a positive list of restricted licenses. The best
85 name I can think of to replace "NOT-MUST-HAVE-READ", is "UNRESTRICTED".
86 That clearly doesn't say anything about interactivity - it's just a
87 list of all the licenses that have no restrictions on the operation of
88 portage.
89
90 > Now, I ask everyone to go read the bug before posting any more
91 > comments, since most of this has been discussed quite a bit there,
92 > and doesn't need to be rehashed.
93
94 I didn't realise there was a bug (#152593) - I was responding to the
95 posting of the GLEP and discussion I've seen here recently. I've read
96 it now...
99 Kevin F. Quinn