From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ACCEPT_LICENSE revisited
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 15:25:34
1 On Wed, 2006-11-22 at 15:53 +0100, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
2 > > RESTRICT="interactive" should be restricted to only the contents of
3 > > the ebuild. ACCEPT_LICENSE="RTCW-ETEULA" emerge enemy-territory is
4 > > *not* interactive,
5 >
6 > That's what I've missed then. I didn't realise that setting
7 > ACCEPT_LICENSE would inhibit the interactive confirmation that the
8 > license has been read. It means that ACCEPT_LICENSE is a list of
9 > licenses that have been accepted (which is not what I thought it was).
10
11 Basically, this allows ACCEPT_LICENSE to fill the requirements of
12 allowing filtering on license and *also* allows it to fill the
13 requirements for explicit license acceptance. By default, all licenses
14 that do not require interactive and explicit acceptance are accepted.
15
16 Now, let's say you didn't want to use any BSD-licensed software.
17
18 ACCEPT_LICENSE="-BSD" would mean, in essence,
19 ACCEPT_LICENSE="@NON-INTERACTIVE -BSD" which would give you any package
20 that doesn't require interactive acceptance, except for BSD.
21 ACCEPT_LICENSE="-BSD RTCW-ETEULA" would allow you to install Enemy
22 Territory, but not Unreal Tournament 2004.
23
24 > > We don't want to support ACCEPT_LICENSE="*" including the interactive
25 > > licenses, since that *would* be skipping the requirements on the
26 > > license. This has been discussed on the bug report, already, but
27 > > unless we made "*" not really equal "*", then it won't work, as it
28 > > won't fill the requirement that the license is accepted.
29 >
30 > OK that's fine. I'd still like to see a positive rather than a
31 > negative name, but I admit I can't think of a good one to cover what
32 > NOT-MUST-HAVE-READ would cover. Following the discussion about "*"
33 > from the bug (#152593 for those who don't know), I can see why
34 > you'd rather not have a positive list of restricted licenses. The best
35 > name I can think of to replace "NOT-MUST-HAVE-READ", is "UNRESTRICTED".
36 > That clearly doesn't say anything about interactivity - it's just a
37 > list of all the licenses that have no restrictions on the operation of
38 > portage.
39
40 I'll be honest. I don't care what it is called, so long as the
41 functionality is the same. UNRESTRICTED seems fine to me, but doesn't
42 give a clue as to what restriction it doesn't have. After all,
43 Microsoft's licenses on their corefonts would be "UNRESTRICTED" under
44 this license, even though it is far from unrestricted. ;]
45
46 > > Now, I ask everyone to go read the bug before posting any more
47 > > comments, since most of this has been discussed quite a bit there,
48 > > and doesn't need to be rehashed.
49 >
50 > I didn't realise there was a bug (#152593) - I was responding to the
51 > posting of the GLEP and discussion I've seen here recently. I've read
52 > it now...
53
54 No problem. I thought it had been mentioned when the original posting
55 from Marius was done, but it might not have been. Anyway, I'm glad that
56 I've now pointed people there so they can see the discussion that took
57 place to get us to where we are now.
60 Chris Gianelloni
61 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
62 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
63 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
64 Gentoo Foundation