From: Rowboat <rowboat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Broken Sound in KDE3
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 18:30:03
1 On Saturday 25 May 2002 05:13 pm, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 Paul,
3 I think this is the right direction. Earlier today I did 'emerge --clean
4 rsync' which should have removed all the old versions of everything laying
5 around AND gotten the lastest portage listing. Unfortunately, after reboot,
6 still no luck with either ALSA, or OSS, in KDE3 with or without aRts server
7 enabled.
8 Should I unmerge alsa completely and start over? As a side note, I ensured
9 that I had alsa and oss in my USE string, in the make.globals file.
10
11 Since OSS does not seem to complain when booting, I rem'd the snd-sb16 (alsa)
12 driver from modules.autoload. No errors on boot, but the OSS sound doesn't
13 work either, for unknown reasons.
14 On another angle, I was already aware that the names of the alsa modules has
15 changed recently, usually dropping the '-card-' portion of the name, so now
16 my module is 'snd-sb16'.
17 Let's get this thing!
18 Rob W.
19
20 > The alsa version has been upgraded to a really new version. This has a
21 > number of consequences. For one the module names do not longer have a card
22 > part in them. Also the initscript has been renamed. The unresolved symbols
23 > are probably the result of lingering old alsa modules, so first start with
24 > removing the old versions of alsa-driver.
25 >
26 > Good luck,
27 > Paul