From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Broken Sound in KDE3
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 17:14:01
1 On Saturday 25 May 2002 22:11, Rob W wrote:
2 >
3 > My ISAPNP SB16 card is not working in Gentoo 2.4.19-gentoo in KDE3, with
4 > newly emerged ALSA driver, utils, tools, you name it. I remembered to
5 > 'rc-update add alsa boot' (note: boot, not default, as per a recent post
6 > here[on Gentoo forum-Hardware], although default does not work either
7 > and gives the same errors). Also, I did depmod -a, which yields 5
8 > 'unresolved symbols'errors in
9 > /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo/kernel/sound/pci/cs46xx/snd-cs46xx.o,
10 > ~/sound/pci/snd-cs4281.o
11 > ~snd-es1938.o,
12 > ~snd-sonicvibes.o
13 > ~/pci/trident/snd-trident-o.
14 >
15 > The card is recognized at boot, the alsa module (snd-sb16) and oss
16 > modules (snd-mixer-oss and snd-pcm-oss) load, but the ALSA module then
17 > generates errors complaining of 'hooks failed' and such. Below is the
18 > text, hand-typed into this message because cut-and-paste does not work
19 > across these apps:[sorry, relative newbie here, I'm sure there's a way
20 > to pipe the output into a text editor]
21 >
22 > ALSA lib conf.c:1520:(snd_config_load1) _toplevel_:6:8:Unexpected char
23 > ALSA lib conf.c:2616:(snd_config_hook_load) /etc/asound.conf may be old
24 > or corrupted: consider to remove or fix it
25 > ALSA lib conf.c:2463:(snd_config_hooks_call) function
26 > snd_config_hook_load returned error: Unknown error
27 > ALSA lib conf.c:2859:(snd_config_update_r) hooks failed, removing
28 > configuration
29 >
30 > This same error is generated if I type 'amixer' at the CLI. So I renamed
31 > /etc/asound.conf and sure enough, the error message went away, and all I
32 > got was an 'asound.conf missing' error.
33 >
34 > Oddly, after I unmuted amixer (only possible with /etc/asound.conf
35 > renamed, i.e., absent) I was able to play the pop.wav sound from the
36 > CLI. No other sound works, though: nothing in KDE Control Center, and
37 > nothing from xmms. KDE is set to use the ALSA sound system in Control
38 > Center, although it does not work if I select OSS either.
39 >
40 > I did a google search for unresolved symbol errors in sound, and got
41 > nothing useful.
42 >
43 > Was the ALSA system in Gentoo just updated so that my asound.conf is now
44 > broken? How can I fix it? This sound card used to work perfectly in Gentoo!
45 >
46 > Sorry this is so verbose, but I hope the detail helps.
47
48 The alsa version has been upgraded to a really new version. This has a number
49 of consequences. For one the module names do not longer have a card part in
50 them. Also the initscript has been renamed. The unresolved symbols are
51 probably the result of lingering old alsa modules, so first start with
52 removing the old versions of alsa-driver.
53
54 Good luck,
55 Paul
58 Paul de Vrieze