From: Rob W <rowboat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Broken Sound in KDE3
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 15:12:08
1 I posted this message to the Hardware section of the Gentoo forums, and
2 it got 10 reads and 0 responses in about 15 hours. I thought the
3 message might be more appropriate for the gentoo-dev because of its
4 detailed content--hopefully detailed enough for one of you devs to help
5 me out. My apologies if I am mis-posting this.
6
7 Here goes...
8
9 My ISAPNP SB16 card is not working in Gentoo 2.4.19-gentoo in KDE3, with
10 newly emerged ALSA driver, utils, tools, you name it. I remembered to
11 'rc-update add alsa boot' (note: boot, not default, as per a recent post
12 here[on Gentoo forum-Hardware], although default does not work either
13 and gives the same errors). Also, I did depmod -a, which yields 5
14 'unresolved symbols'errors in
15 /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo/kernel/sound/pci/cs46xx/snd-cs46xx.o,
16 ~/sound/pci/snd-cs4281.o
17 ~snd-es1938.o,
18 ~snd-sonicvibes.o
19 ~/pci/trident/snd-trident-o.
20
21 The card is recognized at boot, the alsa module (snd-sb16) and oss
22 modules (snd-mixer-oss and snd-pcm-oss) load, but the ALSA module then
23 generates errors complaining of 'hooks failed' and such. Below is the
24 text, hand-typed into this message because cut-and-paste does not work
25 across these apps:[sorry, relative newbie here, I'm sure there's a way
26 to pipe the output into a text editor]
27
28 ALSA lib conf.c:1520:(snd_config_load1) _toplevel_:6:8:Unexpected char
29 ALSA lib conf.c:2616:(snd_config_hook_load) /etc/asound.conf may be old
30 or corrupted: consider to remove or fix it
31 ALSA lib conf.c:2463:(snd_config_hooks_call) function
32 snd_config_hook_load returned error: Unknown error
33 ALSA lib conf.c:2859:(snd_config_update_r) hooks failed, removing
34 configuration
35
36 This same error is generated if I type 'amixer' at the CLI. So I renamed
37 /etc/asound.conf and sure enough, the error message went away, and all I
38 got was an 'asound.conf missing' error.
39
40 Oddly, after I unmuted amixer (only possible with /etc/asound.conf
41 renamed, i.e., absent) I was able to play the pop.wav sound from the
42 CLI. No other sound works, though: nothing in KDE Control Center, and
43 nothing from xmms. KDE is set to use the ALSA sound system in Control
44 Center, although it does not work if I select OSS either.
45
46 I did a google search for unresolved symbol errors in sound, and got
47 nothing useful.
48
49 Was the ALSA system in Gentoo just updated so that my asound.conf is now
50 broken? How can I fix it? This sound card used to work perfectly in Gentoo!
51
52 Sorry this is so verbose, but I hope the detail helps.
53
54 TIA,
55 Rob W