From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] [treequake] virtual/mysql addition
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 01:47:48
1 On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 14:10:58 -0800
2 "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > - USE=server/client/minimal poses problem when it comes to dealing
5 > with dependencies that require the server or the client. The best
6 > that is doable with the present portage is checking that the app is
7 > compiled with the right use flags during pkg_setup, which can break
8 > long compiles.
9
10 Two things I'm always wondering about when this topic comes up:
11 - is there really a need for USE=client? In most cases people request
12 to exclude the server part, can't remember ever seeing a request to
13 exclude the client.
14 - assuming we ignore the USE=client thing, how many things actually
15 depend on the server part of say mysql or openldap?
16
17 Marius
22 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
23 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.