From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] [treequake] virtual/mysql addition
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 03:47:03
1 On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 02:50:43AM +0100, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > Two things I'm always wondering about when this topic comes up:
3 > - is there really a need for USE=client? In most cases people request
4 > to exclude the server part, can't remember ever seeing a request to
5 > exclude the client.
6 I can't find the bug right now, but this did pop up where the client was
7 a GUI app, and they wanted to get away from needing all the dependencies
8 it pulled in that way.
9
10 > - assuming we ignore the USE=client thing, how many things actually
11 > depend on the server part of say mysql or openldap?
12 For MySQL, I just did a quick survey of the tree, and my personal
13 (private) overlay of testing things. There are 2 packages in the main
14 tree that need a mysql server: dev-db/mytop/mytop,
15 app-admin/eselect-mysql
16 I have another two in my overlay, one of which might not make it to the
17 tree (discussions with upstream about issues the app has) - both of them
18 deal with special stuff to back up a MySQL database with minimal
19 downtime.
20 Also, this will definetly come up more in future, with the new pluggable
21 stuff that MySQL is doing upstream - giving it the ability to add more
22 functionality to the server that is shipped separately (stuff like new
23 data processing functions, new storage engines and more).
26 Robin Hugh Johnson
27 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
28 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85