From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Eclasses (Was: Re: Re: [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI) [2])
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 05:18:41
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 10:52:53 +0000
3 > Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 >> Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 >> > On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 06:03:12 +0000
6 >> > Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
7 >> >> * Set the EAPI inside the ebuild in a way that makes it easy to
8 >> >> fetch it This is ok as atm only EAPI=1 is in the tree, so there is
9 >> >> no backward compatibility issue.
10 >> >
11 >> > It's both a backwards and a forwards compatibility issue.
12 >> >
13 >> Yeah, so forwards into the future where it's impossible to maintain
14 >> this format (er..) there'll be another type of ebuild for your
15 >> purported long-term solution.
16 >
17 > Hopefully that'll be EAPI 2, and hopefully we're talking months rather
18 > than years.
19 >
20 Whatever. EAPI="2" works fine with current software. Could you tell me why
21 you're so hot on export'ing EAPI? I thought it was only relevant,
22 environment-wise, to the ebuild and subshells. What is the use case for
23 exporting it externally?
24
25 > * Eclasses modifying EAPI. Doesn't scale across multiple eclasses, nor
26 > across EAPIs removing features, nor EAPIs changing eclasses.
27 >
28 I don't see what's wrong with EAPI (if set, otherwise implicitly whatever
29 the ebuild sets, or 0 if not set there) only applying to the file it's
30 declared in.
31
32 Since we can't remove eclasses, it would be useful to continue allowing them
33 to examine the EAPI variable for future compatibility. I'm sure there are
34 other restrictions imposed by this "enhancement" which make maintenance
35 more difficult for no benefit to the maintainer.
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list