From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Ability to pass arguments to src_configure/src_compile
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 23:03:26
1 On 23:13 Mon 08 Sep , Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 14:33:50 -0700
3 > Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
4 > > On 12:46 Sun 07 Sep , Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:
5 > > > I personally agree with several others who have replied to this
6 > > > thread. The reduction in lines of code/characters seems to
7 > > > introduce an uglier syntax which is harder to read with
8 > > > questionable benefits.
9 > >
10 > > One of the great things about ebuilds is that they're very natural to
11 > > write in most cases, if you can manage to build the program by hand.
12 > > Raising this barrier of entry for questionable benefit seems like a
13 > > bad idea. We don't need to make it any harder to begin contributing
14 > > to Gentoo.
15 >
16 > So why are we making people know the exact ins and outs of
17 > reimplementing default functions, complete with knowledge of whether or
18 > not to use die, when all they need in most cases is to set a simple
19 > variable instead?
20
21 This series of variables and syntaxes within them doesn't seem much
22 simpler than functions. From what I understand, it also conflates
23 multiple concepts into a single variable name (the function name,
24 whether it's USE-dependent, and how the configure flag is passed).
25
26 > What proportion of people do you think know whether or not you need a
27 > die with econf or emake? How many user-written ebuilds out there
28 > correctly install the right docs and don't try to install docs that
29 > don't exist, deal with install parallelisation correctly and handle
30 > error cases properly?
31
32 You're right, following all of the policy takes work. What I'm talking
33 about is an entry-level ebuild hack that just gets people in the door
34 and is the reason a lot of people love Gentoo.
37 Thanks,
38 Donnie
39
40 Donnie Berkholz