From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Ability to pass arguments to src_configure/src_compile
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 23:31:36
1 On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 4:03 PM, Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 23:13 Mon 08 Sep , Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 >> On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 14:33:50 -0700
4 >> Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
5 >> > On 12:46 Sun 07 Sep , Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:
6 >> > > I personally agree with several others who have replied to this
7 >> > > thread. The reduction in lines of code/characters seems to
8 >> > > introduce an uglier syntax which is harder to read with
9 >> > > questionable benefits.
10 >> >
11 >> > One of the great things about ebuilds is that they're very natural to
12 >> > write in most cases, if you can manage to build the program by hand.
13 >> > Raising this barrier of entry for questionable benefit seems like a
14 >> > bad idea. We don't need to make it any harder to begin contributing
15 >> > to Gentoo.
16 >>
17 >> So why are we making people know the exact ins and outs of
18 >> reimplementing default functions, complete with knowledge of whether or
19 >> not to use die, when all they need in most cases is to set a simple
20 >> variable instead?
21 >
22 > This series of variables and syntaxes within them doesn't seem much
23 > simpler than functions. From what I understand, it also conflates
24 > multiple concepts into a single variable name (the function name,
25 > whether it's USE-dependent, and how the configure flag is passed).
26 >
27 >> What proportion of people do you think know whether or not you need a
28 >> die with econf or emake? How many user-written ebuilds out there
29 >> correctly install the right docs and don't try to install docs that
30 >> don't exist, deal with install parallelisation correctly and handle
31 >> error cases properly?
32 >
33 > You're right, following all of the policy takes work. What I'm talking
34 > about is an entry-level ebuild hack that just gets people in the door
35 > and is the reason a lot of people love Gentoo.
36
37 We are not making them use this syntax; nothing stops them using the other one.
38
39 -Alec
42 > --
43 > Thanks,