From: "Fernando J. Pereda" <ferdy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] EAPI 2 Draft
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 08:33:01
1 On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 12:39:16AM -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > David Leverton wrote:
3 > > 2008/9/5 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>:
4 > >> Both approaches are essentially equivalent but it's a little simpler
5 > >> for ebuild writer if they don't have to customize the output file name.
6 > >
7 > > But is it so much simpler as to justify adding a special
8 > > gitweb-specific hack to the package managers?
9 >
10 > Well, it's not much different from the existing file extension logic
11 > that's already built into the unpack function. I think what really
12 > matters is whether or not the majority of people see it as a useful
13 > extension.
14
15 I'm wondering why would one fetch a tarball instead of using git.eclass
16 which is much better for both upstream and users (in terms of bandwidth
17 and resources usage).
18
19 - ferdy