From: Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New PDEPEND behaviour.
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 15:22:17
1 On Mittwoch, 25. Juli 2007, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > I suggest you in the future check out what actually was changed, and
3 > do some testing- both the original poster, and yourself are missing
4 > what is occuring here
5
6 Uh, thanks, I never was fond of reading the code of Portage, so I took Piotr's
7 point as given.
8
9 > Note I said 'shift'. It tries to place it earlier in the graph, while
10 > *still* maintaining the constraints of kdnssd-avahi- namely the
11 > kdelibs dependency.
12 >
13 > Via that dep, kdnssd-avahi *requires* kdelibs to be installed first,
14 > and portage honors that- it just now tries to get kdnssd-avahi merged
15 > as soon as possible after kdelibs due to their PDEPEND relationship
16 > (try it if in doubt, it lineralizes it properly).
17 >
18 > The cases where it doesn't, are when the constraints are already
19 > satisfied- kdelibs already is merged, basically. There is a change in
20 > placement there, but considering the data involved, wouldn't label it
21 > a regression- same issue can, and does occur in multiple other ways.
22
23 That's fine.
24
25 > > The latter.
26 >
27 > Former. The ebuild manpage is a bit loose in it's description of what
28 > PDEPEND does.
29
30 Well, I should point out where I come from. There is no need to install a pure
31 runtime dependency before the ebuild pulling it in. If pure runtime
32 dependencies would be handled this way, there would be no need for PDEPEND at
33 all. I consider the current way Portage handles pure runtime dependencies
34 (causing the need for the artificial PDEPEND in the first place) as
35 conceptually broken.
38 Carsten