From: Vlastimil Babka <caster@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New PDEPEND behaviour.
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 15:36:32
1 Carsten Lohrke wrote:
2 > Well, I should point out where I come from. There is no need to install a pure
3 > runtime dependency before the ebuild pulling it in. If pure runtime
4 > dependencies would be handled this way, there would be no need for PDEPEND at
5 > all. I consider the current way Portage handles pure runtime dependencies
6 > (causing the need for the artificial PDEPEND in the first place) as
7 > conceptually broken.
8
9 There are uses for it:
10
11 A: RDEPEND="B"
12 B: RDEPEND="A"
13
14 Here you really don't need PDEPEND because in current portage, pure
15 runtime dependency indeed doesn't have to be satisfied before the ebuild
16 pulling it. But consider this:
17
18 A: PDEPEND="B"
19 B: DEPEND="A"
20
21 Here you can't use RDEPEND instead of PDEPEND, because DEPEND="A" says
22 the package must be merged in a working state, thus *with all its
23 RDEPENDs* and thus it would cause circular deps. PDEPEND is a way to
24 relax this for such cases.
25
26 If this is what you call RDEPEND conceptually broken, then sorry for
27 useles try to explain it :) Maybe package manager could be smart enough
28 and relax the RDEPEND in such cases itself, maybe it's better to say
29 that via PDEPEND explicitly...
32 Vlastimil Babka (Caster)
33 Gentoo/Java
34 --