From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gen_usr_ldscript & --libdir=/lib
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 18:50:37
1 On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 12:03 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > As I and others have said on this list a thousdand times, moving
4 > everything to /usr never had anything to do with systemd and udev. This
5 > is a completely separate topic.
6
7 Understood. However, the whole request to not have to support a
8 separate /usr without an initramfs was brought up by the udev team.
9 If udev doesn't have the need, then they should just go do what they
10 want to do and stop asking the council to step in, as there apparently
11 isn't anything for them to decide on.
14 > The arguments for moving everything into /usr seem to be pretty strong
15 > [1], and as gregkh and others have said, it would benefit us in the longrun
16 > to do it.
17 >
18 > Given that, that is not even what I'm discussing. I am just discussing
19 > moving the libraries that we manually install into /lib* back to
20 > /usr/lib* on Linux.
21
22 I think moving everything into /usr is a good idea. However:
23
24 1. It isn't my decision to make. This is the role of the Council.
25 2. It doesn't make sense for every dev to just stick stuff wherever
26 they personally feel is best.
27 3. Moving just a bunch of libraries to /usr and nothing else is dumb.
28 It brings none of the benefits of the /usr move, and gets rid of all
29 of the benefits of complying with FHS (like systems booting fine with
30 a separate /usr - and yes I know this is already "broken" despite the
31 fact that it works just fine for 99% of the people running in this
32 configuration). This is one of those situations where you need to
33 have a plan and do it right, or don't do it at all.
34
35 If people want to argue for a /usr move by all means do so. If people
36 want to beg the Council to back this, by all means do so. If people
37 want to run for Council by all means do so. If you want to build a
38 mechanism that gives the choice to the end user based on a profile
39 setting or some other sensible mechanism, by all means do so.
40
41 But, until the Council decides that we're really doing a coordinated
42 /usr move, then let's leave things alone. Sticking stuff in random
43 locations per the whim of individual maintainers will cause nothing
44 but trouble.
45
46 Rich