From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gen_usr_ldscript & --libdir=/lib
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 17:04:36
1 On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 08:00:09AM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 2:55 AM, Tony "Chainsaw" Vroon
3 > <chainsaw@g.o> wrote:
4 > > On Wed, 2012-12-26 at 22:01 -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
5 > >> Actually, since ulm pointed out in another thread that the
6 > >> council has not mandated that we support separate /usr without an
7 > >> initramfs, I am re-considering this.
8 > >
9 > > So now that the /usr-merge steamroller can not break systems through
10 > > udev, because an alternative now exists... another way must be found?
11 > > That seems rather immature.
12 > > What must be forked next to keep this working? openrc?
13 >
14 > Tend to agree, assuming it causes no additional work for package maintainers.
15
16 As I and others have said on this list a thousdand times, moving
17 everything to /usr never had anything to do with systemd and udev. This
18 is a completely separate topic.
19
20 The arguments for moving everything into /usr seem to be pretty strong
21 [1], and as gregkh and others have said, it would benefit us in the longrun
22 to do it.
23
24 Given that, that is not even what I'm discussing. I am just discussing
25 moving the libraries that we manually install into /lib* back to
26 /usr/lib* on Linux.
27
28 William
29